I suffered an eye injury in an accident and lost my vision. Can I sue?

If you have suffered an eye injury, you may have lost your vision either permanently or temporarily. The vision loss may be either partial or total. Losing vision can be a very scary experience, even if the vision loss is only a partial vision loss. Fortunately, there may be treatments available that can help.

If you have suffered an accident that caused a vision loss, you may be able to sue the responsible party for your injuries. Many eye accidents occur at work – you may have had an accident involving machinery, construction equipment, or chemicals. In most cases, if you suffer an injury on the job, you are limited to recovering for your damages under the workers’ compensation system. Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance that must be carried by most employers, and it compensates employees for any on-the-job injuries they may suffer.

In most cases, workers’ compensation will pay for medical expenses, a portion of lost wages, and permanent disability. However, normally you cannot sue your employer if you are eligible for workers’ compensation. You may be able to recover against another party that caused your injuries, though.

There are many other causes of eye injuries. You may have had an automobile accident or a motorcycle accident, or suffered the injury in a sporting event. In that case, you should be able to sue the responsible party. However, they will need to have sufficient assets or insurance to cover your damages to justify a lawsuit. You also must be able to prove that the party is the cause of your injuries.

Eye injuries can be a very significant type of personal injury case. There are not only physical and medical issues, there are many emotional issues surrounding eye injuries and the loss of vision and/or disfigurement. If you have suffered an eye injury, call me, Los Angeles personal injury attorney Conal Doyle at 310-385-0567. My team can help. Call today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation on your case.