I had a limb amputated and the anesthesia was not administered correctly. Can I take legal action against the doctor?

An amputation can be stressful enough, but when the anesthesia is botched, it can turn a bad situation much worse. Medical errors such as anesthesia issues are very common – in fact, it’s been estimated that medical errors are the third leading cause of death, behind heart disease and cancer. Anesthesia errors account for about three percent of all medical malpractice cases filed.

When a patient is injured because of the negligent care of a doctor or anesthesiologist, the patient may be entitled to file a medical malpractice lawsuit against the negligent individual or hospital responsible. Normally, to bring a lawsuit against a medical professional, the plaintiff must prove a few things: that there was a doctor-patient relationship, the doctor owed the patient a duty of care, the doctor breached that duty, the patient suffered harm, and the doctor’s breach of duty was the cause of the plaintiff’s injuries.

Although there may be a number of errors made in medical settings, normally in order to bring a medical malpractice lawsuit a patient must have very serious, life-changing injuries. A case likely does not make any sense unless there are serious injuries. When a patient is able to bring a medical malpractice lawsuit, there are a number of damages that can be sought. The patient may ask for his or her medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, loss of enjoyment of life, and wrongful death.

If you have been injured by a doctor or a hospital, you may wish to speak with an attorney. An experienced attorney can help review medical records, determine who the responsible parties are, negotiate a settlement, take the case to court, and a number of other things.

Call me, Conal Doyle, Amputation Attorney at 310-385-0567. I am not only a personal injury attorney, but I’m also an amputee. I enjoy helping other amputees receive compensation for their injuries. Call today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation on your case.