I was hospitalized in Los Angeles and I got deep vein thrombosis. Can I sue the hospital?

I’m sorry to hear about the deep vein thrombosis. Depending on the circumstances of what happened, you may be able to sue for medical malpractice. An experienced medical malpractice attorney can evaluate your case in order to help you learn more about your options.

Deep vein thrombosis, also called DVT, happens when a blood clot forms in the leg and the clot moves up to the brain, heart, or lungs. It is critical that patients who are at high risk of blood clots be monitored and that their doctors take efforts to help prevent blood clots. If a health care provider fails to be proactive, the results can be disastrous.

There are certain groups of individuals who are at high risk of developing blood clots. They include those who have undergone recent surgery, suffered physical trauma, or who had severe burns. These individuals are undergoing the healing process and their blood is clotting. Ideally, the blood should clot at the location of an injury. However, in some cases blood clots form in the bloodstream. Some symptoms of DVT include a warm or hot feeling in the leg, changes in skin tone, swelling, and pain and discomfort in one leg. If a blood clot does occur in the leg, the clot can become dislodged, which can pose the risk of a stroke, heart attack, or pulmonary embolism if the clot does not break apart.

There are steps that can be taken to prevent DVT. Blood thinners are one common way to prevent them. Stockings or pressure socks can also help. Surgery can also be helpful in some cases. If you have suffered from DVT while you were under a doctor’s care, you may wish to speak with an attorney. If you are in Los Angeles, call me, Conal Doyle, Los Angeles personal injury attorney, at 310-385-0567. I can help. Call today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation.