What can I do if I am in an accident with an uninsured motorist in California?

In California, drivers are required to carry insurance on their vehicles. Drivers must have evidence of financial responsibility available to show to a police officer if asked, or if involved in an accident. Drivers are required to carry $15,000 in coverage for injury or death to one person, $30,000 in coverage for injury or death to more than one person, and $5,000 for damage to property.

Unfortunately, not everyone in California chooses to obey the law and purchase insurance. It’s estimated that 15 percent of the drivers on California’s roads do not have insurance. Many drivers choose to purchase uninsured motorist coverage. That insurance is designed to pay for a loss you incur that is caused by a driver without adequate liability insurance. It could cover medical expenses, property damage, loss of income, or other expenses. The coverage is typically extended to all members of your family who live in your household.

If you are involved in an accident with a driver who does not have insurance, and the accident was the other driver’s fault, if you have uninsured motorist coverage, you can make a claim against your insurance company. In unusual circumstances, the driver may have enough assets to cover your damages. There may be other parties at fault too who can be held legally responsible.

Call me, California personal injury attorney Conal Doyle of Doyle Law at 310-385-0567, if you have been involved in an accident with a driver who did not have car insurance. I can help advise you of your legal options. Call today to schedule your free consultation.