I am a new amputee, and need financial assistance for a prosthesis and other services and equipment I need. What should I do?

I’m sorry to hear about your amputation. As you have probably learned, prostheses and associated services and equipment are very expensive, and often need to be replaced fairly regularly. The good news is that there are a number of sources that can help to finance your prosthesis.

Your first step is to determine what you need, and to get a prescription for that device. Stay organized, and keep detailed medical records and information about your income, expenses, health insurance, and dependents – all of that information may be needed during the funding process.

Your first step is to talk to your insurance company, if you have one. If you did not receive the benefits to which you thought you were entitled, consider filing an appeal and above all, be persistent. There are also some government services to which you may be entitled that could pay for limbs, including Medicare, Medicaid, the Veterans Administration, and Tricare. If you do not have insurance, and you do not qualify for assistance from the government, you may want to talk to a non-profit organization, which may be able to help.

You may also consider a personal injury lawsuit, if your amputation occurred because of the wrongdoing of another party. If you were involved in an accident with a reckless driver and that caused your amputation, or you believe your amputation was caused by a doctor’s medical malpractice, you could be entitled to compensation. It’s critical that you speak with an attorney sooner rather than later – time limits apply, and typically the sooner a case begins, the easier it is to pursue.

Call me, Conal Doyle, Amputation Attorney, if you have suffered an amputation because of another party’s negligent actions, or if you believe that your insurance company is wrongfully denying your claim in bad faith. I am not only an amputee, I am also an attorney. Call my team today at 310-385-0567. We can help. Call today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation.