Do I have to hire an attorney to help me with my slip and fall case in Los Angeles?

Legally, no one has to hire an attorney to help with a personal injury case. Anyone can represent themselves. However, in many personal injury cases it’s very important that the accident victim have legal representation in order to maximize the value of their recovery.

Victims of accidents involving slipping, tripping, and falling typically have the legal right to seek financial compensation if the accident occurred on someone else’s commercial or residential property. Immediately after the accident, if it occurred at a commercial business, it is important to contact the manager to make sure the incident is recorded. The victim should take notes that describe the condition where the fall occurred, as well as pictures of the accident scene. If there were any eyewitnesses, their contact information should be obtained. Finally, the accident victim should seek immediate medical attention so that his or her injuries are documented.

The facts of your case will determine if you have the right to seek recovery for your damages. You will most likely need to be able to prove that an unsafe condition existed on the property, such as a slippery floor, and that the employees or the property owner either knew or should have known of the condition but failed to take steps to correct it.

Some of the most common causes of slip and falls include spilled food and drinks, inadequate lighting, worn or raised carpeting, broken stairway handrails, holes in the ground, and other hazards. In all of these cases, an attorney can help prove that the property owner was legally responsible for the accident, as well as proving the amount of damages the victim suffered.

If you have been the victim of a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Call me, Los Angeles premises liability attorney Conal Doyle at 310-385-0567. I can help. Call today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation on your case.