If I am invited over to a friend’s or a family member’s house in Los Angeles and I slip and fall, can I sue the friend or family member?

If you have slipped and fallen at the home of a friend or family member in Los Angeles, you may wonder if you can recover compensation for your injuries. Legally, yes, individuals injured in a fall on someone else’s property can seek damages from the property owner, even if the property owner is a friend or family member.

Legally, property owners have a duty to keep their property safe and well-maintained for visitors. Visitors include guests who have been invited over to the home. If a property owner fails to keep the property safe, he or she can be held legally liable for damages such as medical expenses, compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, and more.

Receiving compensation from the property owner typically means filing a personal injury lawsuit against the property owner. You may be reluctant to do that if the accident occurred at a family member’s or a friend’s house. However, keep in mind that in most cases the damages and costs of defending the lawsuit will be paid by an insurance company, not by your friend or family member.

To be successful in your lawsuit, you must show that the property owner was legally liable for your injuries. This typically involves conducting an investigation. You must be able to show that the host owed you a duty of care, the host breached that duty to you, and that you suffered damages as a result.

Call me, Conal Doyle, Los Angeles premises liability attorney if you have fallen at the home of a friend or family member. My team can help. Call us at 310-385-0567 to learn more or to schedule a free consultation on your case.