Can I sue on behalf of my child if he/she got cerebral palsy in Los Angeles?

14 Nov 2017

I am very sorry to hear that your child has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy. In some cases, cerebral palsy occurs through no fault of anyone, but in many cases another person or company is responsible for an incident that led to your child developing cerebral palsy. If that occurs, you may be able to bring a lawsuit on behalf of your child for damages. To be successful, you will need to put together evidence and present a solid case at trial.

Typically, in order to win a case involving a cerebral palsy diagnosis, you must be able to prove that your child was injured, that another person or company had a duty to your child that was breached, that the breach of that duty resulted in those injuries, and what types of damages your child has. If you are successful, you may be able to recover damages on behalf of your child. Normally those, damages include compensation for loss of quality of life, pain and suffering, medical expenses, and more.

As mentioned above, in some cases it is no one’s fault when a child develops cerebral palsy. In general, cerebral palsy occurs because of disorders of the brain or injury to the brain. Cerebral palsy can occur before, during, or after childbirth. During pregnancy, there may be oxygen deprivation or another issue. Oxygen to the brain may be affected during childbirth as well. In some cases, cerebral palsy can develop after childbirth as a result of trauma or an infection.

Everyone who develops cerebral palsy is affected differently. The case may be mild, or could affect your child negatively for the rest of his or her life. Your child may lose the ability to speak or to grow. It can affect coordination and reflexes.

If you are in the Los Angeles area and you believe that a third party’s actions were responsible for your child developing cerebral palsy, you should speak with an attorney. Call me, Conal Doyle, Los Angeles medical malpractice attorney at 310-385-0567. My team can help. Call today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation.